Paid a whole $2.99 for it and it even came with a few of the records still in it. I saw somewhere the idea of painting records and hanging them on the wall for décor, but my walls are already crammed with stuff so scratched that idea. Being a book-a-holic I immediately thought it would make a great altered book so I purchased a few more records to fill up the empty sleeves. I painted both sides of the records with fluid acrylic paints, leaving some of the black vinyl of the record showing through, and with distinct brush marks showing. It gives them a worn and imperfect look that I like. A couple coats of paint was plenty. I painted the label portion too. I then fussy cut out images of birds from a second-hand child's bird book I had found on a previous visit to VV and glued them to the records (both sides) with Mod Podge.
Since there were twelve records, I used stamps and Staz-on ink to stamp the name of a month on each of them. I also added stamped images of feathers. With paint markers I hand wrote a quote about nature or birds on each side of the records. A few coats of Mod Podge over the whole lot and the records were done. I chose to use minimal embellishment on the sleeves themselves, as they were a beautifully aged brown paper. I just used distress ink and stamped on images of grass and ferns.
A record in each sleeve, and there you have it: a calendar/book of sorts. This was a fun and easy project, though it did take a while for all that fussy cutting. I love birds and vintage images so this gave me a chance to put it all together into an unusual creation.
I hope this gets you thinking about things in a different way. The great thing about altered projects is there are no rules and the sky is the limit. You can make just about anything out of just about anything.