Saturday 22 March 2014

Altered Record Album

Today I have an altered project to share with you.  I look at things (especially things in second hand stores) and wonder what they could be turned into.  I came across this great old record album in Value Village. It was in good condition and designed to hold 45's.
                                         


 
 
Paid a whole $2.99 for it and it even came with a few of the records still in it.  I saw somewhere the idea of painting records and hanging them on the wall for décor, but my walls are already crammed with stuff so scratched that idea.  Being a book-a-holic I immediately thought it would make a great altered book so I purchased a few more records to fill up the empty sleeves.  I painted both sides of the records with fluid acrylic paints, leaving some of the black vinyl of the record showing through, and with distinct brush marks showing.  It gives them a worn and imperfect look that I like.  A couple coats of paint was plenty.  I painted the label portion too.  I then fussy cut out images of birds from a second-hand child's bird book I had found on a previous visit to VV and glued them to the records (both sides) with Mod Podge. 

  
 
  
 
Since there were twelve records, I used stamps and Staz-on ink to stamp the name of a month on each of them.  I also added stamped images of feathers.  With paint markers I hand wrote a quote about nature or birds on each side of the records.  A few coats of Mod Podge over the whole lot and the records were done.  I chose to use minimal embellishment on the sleeves themselves, as they were a beautifully aged brown paper.  I just used distress ink and stamped on images of grass and ferns.

 



A record in each sleeve, and there you have it:  a calendar/book of sorts.  This was a fun and easy project, though it did take a while for all that fussy cutting.  I love birds and vintage images so this gave me a chance to put it all together into an unusual creation. 

                            

I hope this gets you thinking about things in a different way.  The great thing about altered projects is there are no rules and the sky is the limit.  You can make just about anything out of just about anything.   
 
 
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment