Wednesday 25 June 2014

Summer gatefold album

Hi Everybody! 
Been crazy busy around this place (it IS summer now you know...) so it's been a while since I posted.  But I haven't stopped being creative completely.  I have another mini album to share with you, this time a cute summer one I made for my mom.  She made a trip to Newfoundland early this summer, a trip that's been on her bucket list for a long time, and I wanted to make a nautical themed album to house some of her fave pictures. 
 
I used a Close to My Heart retired paper collection called "Tommy" that I had in my stash, along with chipboard and kraft cardstock for the covers and Kraft envelopes for the pages. 
 
 
I love the bright cheery colors of this pack, and the nautical images were perfect for a sea side trip. 
 
 

 
I decided on an offset gatefold style album, with pages coming from both sides.  The album measures 7" x 7" x 2 1/4" and has 12 pages in all.
  The cover closes with the aid of three large magnets, hidden under the decorative paper.  They keep the covers closed even if she stuffs the album full of pictures.



 
Inside the front cover is a large pocket, suitable for memorabilia and brochures from some of the B & B's she stayed at.  The captains wheel and the other large accents I made by printing out clip art onto white cardstock in blue ink, then covering them with liquid glass to turn them into shiny accents.  I fussy cut them out of the paper after I applied the liquid glass and it had completely dried.  This helps to prevent a lot of curling and warping of the images.
 
 

 
The pages are very simple in design.  My mom is doesn't scrap with a lot of embellishments so I wanted to keep them open and with lots of space for her terrific pictures.
 
 

 
Each page on the left has a 4" x 6" flap, and each page on the right has a
5"x 6" flap that opens to reveal a large pocket with a removable 5" x 5" photo mat, usable on both sides.
 
 

 
I punched out some of the nautical symbols from this fun and busy patterned paper to accent the corners of the flaps and some of the other plainer pages. 
 
 

 
The back inside cover sports another large pocket that houses journaling mats and has plenty of room for more memorabilia.
 
 
So that's my nautical "Tommy" album, simple and practical but also fun and interactive.  I'm hoping my mom will enjoy it, and add her own special touch to it as she adds her pictures and memorabilia.
 
If you want to know how to build one of these, see my previous blog entry "Gatefold Mini Album Instructions" which provides detailed instructions on building covers and pages as well as the hinge system that holds it all together.  The cover is a little different in that it's offset and has a magnet closure.  Otherwise it's pretty much the same.  Have fun!
 
Thanks for stopping by!  See you next time...
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love this. Will you be doing a tutorial on this? I would love to make this. I do the simple 6x6 flip flap and I would like to try this. Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have instructions in an earlier post for making a gatefold album. This is the same style except for a little variation on the size. You would still make two spines but one would be a bit wider to allow for the overlapping covers. I hope that helps. Thanks for your interest and compliments Denverkat276!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for posting your wonderful work! I love your mini album! A while back I attempted to make a gatefold mini, but I still have it unfinished. I was a little disappointed with it occurred to me to try and put pages on the other spine but I wasn't sure, now, seeing yours , I think I'm going to give it a try! I have been going thru your postings and I could not find your entry " gatefold mini album instructions". I would love to read it before going back to my project.
    Thank you so much for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lolis! Sorry about the delay in answering but I'm currently living in Peru and internet is not always reliable. And for some reason I can't answer posts from my smart phone. The full instructions for doing a gatefold album are in a March post. Have fun!

      Delete